Wednesday, January 19, 2011

You Can't Lift a Stick With a Finger



I recently read an article called “Participation in sports and cultural activities among Aboriginal children and youth” (Smith, Findlay, and Crompton). As the title implies, the article discusses the rates of participation among Aboriginal children in sports and recreation, as well as the importance of partaking in physical activity and the limitations to involving ones self in recreation. The authors state that physical activity is important for children to explore their identity, control their emotions, and acquire social skills and self esteem (Smith, Findlay and Crompton 49).  The authors also conclude that participation in recreation was more likely to occur if the children were involved in some form of other social activity (Smith, Findlay, and Crompton 53).


Upon first reading the article, I thought to myself, “this is just another typical article focusing on the importance of physical activity… blah blah blah!” After further reflection, I was able to pull general ideas out of the article that are of great significance: without a sense of community, participation in sport is unlikely and highly ineffective. What’s quite interesting is that participation in sport is more based upon feeling a sense of belonging and equality, rather than having a general interest in sports or skills required for sports.

I am able to justify this first hand. On the Mount Royal University basketball team, before every practice our coach gives us a quote of the day. Just before we began our regular season, the quote was “you can’t lift a stick with a finger.” As seemingly corny as the quote is, I understand where my coach was coming from.  In order to have a successful experience in sport and recreation- that is accomplishing your goals and enjoying it along the way- you need to have the feeling that you belong to a support network that is willing to work together. The Mount Royal Cougars basketball team is the most socially cohesive team that I have ever been a part of. Every member of the team cares for, supports, and respects one another, and we are all willing to work together to reach our goals. It has been through my experience with the Cougars that I have realized that a sense of belonging and equality are essential to a well-rounded sport and recreation experience.

As an athlete, youth coach, and potential employee in the sport and recreation sector, it is of utmost importance that I understand the significance of community in sport participation. It is clear to me that initial and continued participation in sport and recreation isn’t necessarily based on skill level or talent, but more so on the feeling of inclusion and importance that resonates with members of sport and recreation communities. In order to grow sport and recreation involvement, particularly among youth, a focus on the community aspect of participation needs to be emphasized. Everyone within the community needs to openly invite others to join, and buy into the concept of respect and inclusion for one another. If not all members of the sport and recreation community are willing to create a sense of belonging among each other, the success of the community will fail. After all, you can’t life a stick with just one finger. 

4 comments:

  1. Coooooool article Emily! I love watching your basketball team, even as a spectator I can tell that you have a strong sense of community, you seem like a bunch of friends playing ball as your warm up for each game. I can relate with how important it is that you fit in and feel apart of the team when you play sports. I hated playing basketball in high school and I'm starting to realize it was because I couldn't trust any of the girls I played with and was afraid to be myself around them. Even your most favorite sport in the world becomes less fun if you don't feel apart of the team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Em-otion", I like the title.

    I can relate to your experience as an athlete (retired athlete?)and the social cohesion created between teammates. As well further support your ideals on participation not always being based on talent level.

    When I was training for bobsled I was part of a team and a community of other teams who had similar philosophies and goals. Unfortunately, due to an injury I couldn't participate anymore and left the group. When I look back on the experiences I had, it wasn't the competition and skill development I missed the most, it was the interaction with my fellow teammates. The support we had for each other and experiences we shared were a huge part of that group, and to me, meant more than any victory on the track. I also noticed the closer the team was, the more successful they were, further proving that it is not always about talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Article.
    I can relate to what you said becuase i have been playing hockey for over 15 years now and team development and fitting in plays a big role. And it sure does when we talk about community development. The hockey community is very close and you can meet and make friends with alot of different people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog post! I also read this article and i agree with everything you say. Sports are a great way to satisfy a desire for belonging, and meet new people and friend whom you would not have associated with otherwise. Great point about how participation in sport/rec isn't so much about skill/talent, but about inclusion.

    ReplyDelete